The Top Five Attendees of the Freedom Foundation’s Oregon Banquet
November 20, 2019
The extremist Freedom Foundation recently hosted anti-LGBTQ leader and notorious bigot Mike Huckabee as the keynote speaker at the Salem Convention Center. As you can imagine the Salem community was not too pleased as more than 800 individuals, businesses and organizations sent a note to the General Manager of the Convention Center, Chrissie Bertsch, demanding that she reject Huckabee’s brand of bigotry by canceling the event. Despite these efforts, the Salem Convention Center sided with hate and the event continued as planned. Naturally, we showed up. (Side note: you can send Ms. Bertsch a follow-up email and tell her how disappointed you are in the Salem Convention Center by clicking here).
What we found when we arrived was a rather small and pathetic gathering of a who’s who of failing fringe right-wing activists in Oregon. In fact, there were more protestors outside than Freedom Foundation guests inside and the few that did show were greeted by jeers and cameras to expose any business leaders or elected officials in attendance.
We put together a top five list of the best of the worst attendees of the Freedom Foundation’s anti-LGBTQ banquet.
1) White nationalist, Joey Nations. Joey, a pseudo candidate for congress is best known for donning a motorcycle helmet, draping himself in the American flag and assaulting protestors he disagrees with in the name of white nationalism. He’s been seen on the same stage as Nazis like Jacob van Ott and shaking hands with Trimet murderer, Jeremy Kristian. After we exposed their partnership on Twitter, the tweet was taken down and Joey Nations blocked our Executive Director. Good thing we know how to screenshot things.
2) The guy in this video. He came out and tried to confront protesters using homophobic and misogynistic language which we captured on video (TRIGGER WARNING: His language is graphic and he uses homophobic and misogynistic slurs). He apparently owns a contracting business in Idaho and made the journey to Salem to celebrate the anti-LGBTQ agenda of the Freedom Foundation. It’s unclear who he is and why he cares about Oregon.
3) Bill Post and Mike Nearman. The Freedom Foundation has tried desperately to become relevant and more mainstream, but they just can’t. The only elected officials they attract are the two most fringe, right-wing legislators in Oregon. Nearman, as we’ve documented, is anti-immigrant and anti-LGBTQ and he and Bill Post are seen as the fringe of the Republican Party in Oregon.
4) Angela Roman. Rounding out the list of fringe right-wingers is Angela Roman who is perhaps most well known as the former aide of Rep. Nearman who gave a firearm to a convicted felon and served time in jail for her actions.
She is also made the rounds on YouTube with this thoughtful monologue on our current affairs (TRIGGER WARNING: She uses vulgar and despicable language and homophobic insults.)
5) Mike Huckabee. Ok, we get that this an event that he is keynoting but he makes this list for two reasons. First, he is a huge anti-LGBTQ bigot and has been one of the leaders of the anti-LGBTQ movement for decades. Huckabee has regularly mocked trans individuals and called LGBTQ rights the “greatest threat” to America. Second, there weren’t actually that many people in attendance so we had to use him to round out this list.
Bonus: The attendees of the Oregon Executive Club’s November 6th event. This event occurred three days before the Huckabee event and Freedom Foundation Oregon Director Mike Nearman spoke. He was so desperate to fill the seats for Huckabee he offered this group “name-your-price-tickets” which could be as low as $20. The tickets originally sold for $150 but if you can’t fill the seats, you have to give the tickets away. You can listen to Nearman here:
The Freedom Foundation has been trying and failing to destroy unions in the Northwest so they can make it easier for extreme, right-wing candidates to be elected. They have failed miserably and are trying their hardest to remain relevant. They are willing and eager to join forces with some of the most racist and homophobic individuals in the Northwest. Their event with Mike Huckabee was a clear indicator that even after $20 million spent they have not been able to gain any significant traction in Oregon. Our organization will continue to shine a light on the Freedom Foundation and expose their culture of hate and division.